Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Subversive Musicals

Recently I saw the Disney movie Enchanted. Loved it through the big Central Park production number; after that, eh.

The point is, Enchanted makes my short list of Subversive Musicals - where all is normal if you don't look too closely, but if you do, the world comes undone.

Others on my list:

  • Hairspray
  • South Park

(I told you it was a short list.)

Then again, you might say that every musical ever made is subversive, if your definition of "subversive" is "depicting a world in which people spontaneously and unexpectedly break into song, and those around them think nothing of it."

Consider for a moment what your reaction would be if, say, your spouse were to burst into the room and belt out a couple of verses of "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning." I don't know about you, but it would scare the crap out of me.

Wait, if we're talking about my spouse, it would count as relatively normal behavior. If it were my dog, on the other hand, I would be scared crapless. For one thing, she can't carry a tune. And she forgets the words. On Karaoke Night she's a complete disaster.

No comments: